The valley village of Batcombe has a long history that dates back to Saxon times. It became rich in the 14th Century due to the woollen trade and it was during this time that the beautiful Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built, replacing an earlier structure. Many of the local cottages and houses - traditionally built in local Mendip limestone - date back to the 17th and 18th centuries.
We are very proud that our Jubilee Hall has won a number of awards and recognition, for both the quality of the design of the building itself as well as the high standards of management under which it operates.
Awards and Accolades
Somerset Building Awards 2004
NFU Countryside Awards 2004
Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors Awards 2005
Hallmark Awards (1, 2 & 3)
Somerset Trust for Sustainable Development Case Study
The Old School building dates back to 1842 when it was established as a Charity School. Built on land donated by the owners of Church Farm, it was one of the first schools to be built for village children who were out of reach of the towns and cities. Becoming ever popular, it was extended in 1887 and remained a place of education for the children of Batcombe until the mid-1960’s when a new school was built in the neighbouring village of Upton Noble. After period of disuse, it was bought by the Village Hall Trust in 1992 and completely restored - retaining many original features - before reopening as a community facility in 1999.
The original Batcombe Village Hall was built in 1934 at a cost of £375. A small wooden building standing on stone foundations, its modest size and construction was determined by the limited funding that the village could raise in the inter-war years. It was requisitioned by the Army during WWII and used as a dining hall, recreation centre and canteen for local and American troops. It was returned to the village in 1946.
Over the years, the elements took their toll on the simple wooden structure and it was eventually decided that a new building was needed. The old hall was demolished and work started on the new one in 2001. The completed Jubilee Hall was opened by HRH Prince Charles in 2002.